Corporate Social Responsibility
At BE Spain DMC, Events & Communication we are aware of the important role companies play in regard to the control of the impact such companies make on their surroundings. When speaking of surroundings we refer to any area, whether social, environmental, economic, cultural…. Therefore, we believe that Corporate Social Responsibility is a permanent commitment to which we voluntarily adhere. This commitment is highlighted by our constant search to improve procedures in all areas and thus reduce the corresponding impact.
We do not have a permanent agreement with any particular association but we are in contact with several local associations and we participate in the initiatives with which we feel we can bring most value. A usual example would be:
- Collection of clothing by the Red Cross in Málaga
- Collection of toys by the Red Cross in Málaga
- Contribution of foods to the homeless
Health & Safety
We select our suppliers conscientiously. We take special care that they comply with all regulations established by Health & Safety for the complete peace of mind of our clients.
Surroundings & Environment
In our offices we promote the use of recycled paper, albeit initially our first instructions are not to print; on classification of residue these are separated for recycling; lighting is LED for a lesser environmental impact.
In the careful selection of our suppliers we always ensure their activity is as sustainable as possible.
In terms of the production of events we always try to generate the least impact. If there is a large number of delegates, impact is inevitable, but we always advise authorities or those responsible, (if there is going to be more noise than normal during a particular time period, if there is going to be a significant amount of debris to ensure there are sufficient wastepaper baskets…..).
Our suppliers for activities can also always offer options directed towards promoting a sustainable activity: reforestation, orchards, excursions by bicycle or electric scooter … Also in the majority of Restaurants and Hotels ecological food and/or local and seasonal products are on offer. In this way we attempt to follow some of the main ideas promoted by official organisms in terms of sustainability which they report to us all in their annual reports.
In general, we can say that an increase in the awareness of sustainability has been perceived in all of our suppliers which, as we have previously mentioned, have been carefully selected.
We are developing a series of agreements and activities that bring those involved in each group closer to the local reality of the venue where they are holding their meetings, conferences, incentives and events. It involves participating actively in activities that help them connect with some of the realities that we do not see daily. Some of these activities have already been tried on an isolated basis and, on seeing the good results and warm reception, we want to promote them more strenuously into the groups that are interested in taking part in this type of initiative. Some examples would be:
- Cooking for the homeless. We have many team activities where learning a Spanish recipe is the highlight. The idea is to donate the resulting foods or part of the result to a food bank.
- Making a food collection during the event. Consisting in informing all participants that at the entrance to the meeting room (or a venue to be designated) boxes have been placed in which to deposit non perishable foods that can be bought in local supermarkets. Everything collected will then be donated, with our assistance, to the association chosen by the client.
- In reference to the above, the purchase of non perishable foods can be incorporated into a Team Building activity. Consisting in dividing the participants into teams and organising a treasure hunt around the city centre. As they get to know the city they will buy foods to fill a box assigned to each team. All the foods will be donated and, at the same time, the winning team will win a prize established by the company.
- For the company to make a direct donation for a group of clowns or other entertainers to be taken to a local children´s hospital. The objective is to brighten up the morning for those hospitalised kids. The result of that donation will be recorded on a video for the delegates to see the amount of smiles to be achieved from that small donation. It could also be arranged that each delegate contributes 2 or 3€ to that donation (depending on the size of the group).
You can make the difference everyday
In any case we believe that all the activities can be focussed towards sustainability providing the surroundings permit. For example, an activity of hiking or caving can be geared towards respecting nature. Or a team activity cooking challenge can be based on ecological, local and seasonal ingredients.
We also try to motivate the home team in the participation of solidarity marathons often held in various Spanish cities. We even try to encourage the participation of the delegates of an event if the agenda allows for it.
Finally, it may be that the client simply prefers to make a direct donation to the organization of their choice. The idea would be to add to the estimate of an activity, such as a lunch or dinner… about 2€ or 3€ per delegate (or a designated amount). The resulting sum will be donated in the name of the company to the non profit making association in Spain of their choice.